Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Grown-Ups in Charge

Don't have a fucking clue.

Take Representative Terry Everett, a seven-term Alabama Republican who is
vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical
intelligence.

“Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?” I asked him a
few weeks ago.

Mr. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment: “One’s
in one location, another’s in another location. No, to be honest with you, I
don’t know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families
or something.”

To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly
about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how
Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is
mostly Sunni. “Now that you’ve explained it to me,” he replied, “what occurs to
me is that it makes what we’re doing over there extremely difficult, not only in
Iraq but that whole area.”


Dear god, this is the Republican party that has supported Bush's war in Iraq from ground zero. So, who you gonna vote for?

No comments: