Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My, Uh, 'Friend' Has a Problem

Richard Cohen.

It's a joke, isn't it? I mean, it was Gore who was universally seen as the
flawed man, uncomfortable in his own skin and, therefore, in this TV age,
incapable of uniting the nation. He was caricatured by some of my colleagues as
a serial exaggerator, a fibber, a pretender -- the guy who invented the
Internet, who was the model for the novel (and movie) "Love Story," who applied
one too many coats of passion to that kiss he delivered to his wife, Tipper, at
the Democratic National Convention in 2000. There were so many reasons not to
vote for him -- none, in retrospect, much good.


And it was his, uh, friend who wrote this:

I am not going to sit here and defend Gore's exaggerations. I wish he wouldn't
make them. I wish he did not say he had been to the Texas fires when he hadn't.
(Maybe he ought to have said concentration camp.) I wish he had not compared his
dog's prescription plan to his mother-in-law's. I wish he had been a bit more
modest about his role in developing the Internet or, way back, in describing his
Vietnam War experience.


Media Matters has more.

No comments: