Friday, May 20, 2005

Day III: Revenge of the Right Wing

The confirmation talks are still going on. I'm really not sure if Frist has enough votes to push the rule change; he might be using this time to stall for them. I think that the judicial filibuster should stay right where it is and I would never support a move to get rid of it, but I agree with Armando over at DKos that for the Democrats politically it would be a boon if the rule change is passed.

Most Americans are always weary of the government overreaching itself and having too much power. This illegal rule change by the GOP reflects that fear in a crystal clear mirror. On top of that, the man spearheading this charge is kittykiller Frist, acting at the behest of the insane lunatic fringe evangelical Christian right (who want to change the law of the land to the law of the bible) in order to secure his 2008 presidential ambitions. I'll grant that the tone of discourse in this country has moved entirely too far to the right over the past four years, but that has only served to make the fringe right hungrier and they're losing all sense of restraint. When it becomes clear that they're pulling the strings in the government people's passive fears will activate and they will vote them out.

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

No comments: