Friday, May 23, 2008

GI Bill Passes

Webb's 21st century GI bill passed with a veto-proof majority:

Twenty-five Republican senators broke with President Bush and voted Thursday for a major expansion of veterans’ benefits as part of a bill to finance another year of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The proposal, adopted by a vote of 75 to 22, also provides money for extended unemployment insurance benefits and other domestic programs to which Mr. Bush has objected.

Of course troop-hating, terrorist-loving Barack Obama voted for bill, but even though troop-loving veteran John McCain opposed the bill, he couldn't be bothered to show up and vote against it, which led to:

“I respect Senator John McCain’s service to our country,” Mr. Obama said. “But I can’t understand why he would line up behind the president in opposition to this G.I. Bill.”

Mr. McCain, who was campaigning in California, shot back with a statement questioning Mr. Obama’s motives.

“I take a back seat to no one in my affection, respect and devotion to veterans,” Mr. McCain said. “I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did.”

Easy, senator, no reason to throw a hissy fit! McCain is losing it, fast.

No comments: